About Me

I am 35 years old and I am in college studying for my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice.  Back when I was in 8th grade, we had a day called Career day in class and we had to describe what we wanted to be and why we wanted to be that.  My career choice was to be a police officer.  I cannot remember what exactly I wrote but I do remember writing something about wanting to help the community and wanting to help people.  I honestly can’t even remember a single thing I wrote, unfortunately.  What I do remember is the fact that since 8th grade, I always wanted to become a female police officer and feel that I could truly help people by serving and protecting. 

As years went on, I had children in my early 20’s and because I had young babies to care for, I ended up playing it safe and studying in the medical field instead because I wanted to help people out but in a safer way.  As I worked in the medial field working for medical billing, I always had that passion still in my heart to become a police officer.  I knew at some point in my life I was going to have to purse my passion career or I was going to continue living with the what ifs. 

Here I am now at the age of 35, with two early teenaged boys, working 60+ hours a week AT NIGHT and pursuing my dream of being in school for Criminal Justice at BCC.   One of the most challenging things so far is the fact that school is all new to me again.  My biggest issue in general with the whole school thing is the fact that I have a hard time with big words and knowing the definition for them.  I also have a hard time with writing essays.  Writing essays are going to be my biggest challenge of all for any of my classes.  In the reading “Ten Ways To Think About Writing” by author E. Shelley Reid, she says herself how “writing is hard” and she is an author so never mind someone like me who’s just going back to school again.  A few of the things I have trouble with is repeating myself a little too much in an essay.  I catch myself from time to time repeating myself in times when not needed.  Another thing I feel like I could improve on is “show, don’t just tell”.  I feel as though I could give the audience more detailed information so that way, I am not leaving the audience guessing what I am trying to say. 

On the positive side, one thing I have always carried with me is annotating.  I feel as though annotating has helped me a lot with remembering paragraphs that I am reading.  I only started annotating everything once I started BCC.  With all this said, I am happy to be able to share a little about me and look forward to another great semester ahead!

One Reply to “About Me”

1. hpappas

Thanks for the info–quite a big step you’re taking in coming back to school! Just wanted to emphasize that the things you worry about (repeating yourself and not being detailed) can be fixed by revision–the best thing about writing being that you can go back and make it better (unlike talking). You’ll be getting some feedback from both me and other students to help you deal with those issues… Glad to hear you’re a convert to annotation!

Reply